Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More Chutney

Wow! Two posts in two days!
Well my success with the tomato chutney persuaded me to use the cut up plums and apples that I have been maturing in the freezer since the summer we arrived here! This time I could not find a recipe anywhere - Miss Schauer decided to hide and I still can't find her. Never mind, I have gon ahead and made my own. This time the fruit was so moist it took another hour to cook.

Plum Chutney
2 kg cut up blood plums (all seeded years ago- thank goodness) and apples (I didn't think to weigh them until they were combined)
3 onions
2 cups raisins
Piece of root ginger (all that was left from yesterday)
2 small garlic cloves (would have liked more)
1 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon mixed spice
4 cups sugar (I used 2 cups of soft brown, 1/2 cup of golden syrup and 1 1/2 cups white sugar - no prizes for guessing the reason for that combination)
small pinch of salt
600 mls white wine vinegar

This time I got 3 very large bottles plus a normal sized chutney bottle of pickle. I think I prefer the tomato version but time will tell as they really need ot mature a while.

Last night's dinner was Zucchini slice - the recipe is from the AWW cookbook, Best Recipes Ever. This recipe has been around a long time - I have been making it with or without modification for more than 20 years. Recipes must be difficult to copyright as there are so many variations on basic, very old ideas.

We had it with Mashed Potatoes, Roast Pumpkin and broccoli and a big splash of Tomato Chutney on the side - not quite meat and 3 vege but certainly there was good protein.

No comments: